Pool covers are essential for above ground pools with decks to protect against debris, evaporation, and maintain water temperature. More importantly, they provide added safety for families with children or pets. With a plethora of pool covers available in the market, it can be challenging to select the most suitable one for your pool and deck configuration. In this article, we will delve into the best pool covers for above ground pools with decks and their features to help you make an informed decision.
Why Do You Need a Pool Cover for Your Above Ground Pool with a Deck?
Investing in a pool cover for your above ground pool with a deck is essential. There are several reasons for this:
- Preventing debris from entering the pool: Pool covers act as a barrier to keep leaves, dirt, and other debris out of your pool. This is important because debris can cause staining to your pool liner or filter, clog your pump or skimmer, and make your pool uninviting to swim in. A pool cover offers an easy solution to keeping your pool clean and clear.
- Reducing evaporation: Pool covers also help to reduce water evaporation. When water evaporates from your pool, it leads to a loss of heat and chemicals, which increases your operating costs. By covering your pool when it’s not in use, you can reduce water evaporation by up to 95%, which means lower energy bills and less frequent topping up of water levels.
- Maintaining water temperature: If you live in a climate with fluctuating temperatures, you may find that your pool water temperature drops overnight. A pool cover can help to retain heat in your pool by trapping warmth from the sun, which makes it more comfortable to swim in and reduces energy usage.
- Enhancing safety: Safety is a key consideration for families with children or pets. A pool cover can help to prevent accidents by acting as a barrier to keep people or animals from falling or jumping into the water. A securely fastened pool cover can also prevent unauthorized access to your pool.
By investing in a pool cover for your above ground pool with a deck, you can enjoy a cleaner, warmer, and safer swimming experience, while saving money on energy bills and maintenance costs.
Types of Pool Covers for Above Ground Pools with Decks
When it comes to choosing a pool cover for your above ground pool with a deck, you have several options to choose from. Each type offers various benefits and features, depending on your specific needs. Here are the three main types of pool covers available for above ground pools with decks:
|Type of Pool Cover||Description||Benefits|
|Solid Pool Cover||A solid pool cover is made of durable material and completely covers the pool, blocking sunlight and debris from entering.||Prevents debris and sunlight from entering the pool, reduces the need for harsh chemicals, minimizes water evaporation.|
|Mesh Pool Cover||A mesh pool cover is made of porous material that allows rain and snow to pass through while preventing debris from entering the pool.||Keeps out debris while allowing water to pass through, lighter than solid covers, easy to install and remove.|
|Solar Pool Cover||A solar pool cover is made of thick, UV-resistant material that uses the sun’s rays to heat the pool water, while also reducing evaporation and blocking debris.||Keeps pool water warm, reduces water evaporation, extends swimming season, eco-friendly and energy-efficient.|
Solid Pool Covers
A solid pool cover is a great choice if you want to keep your pool clean and safe from debris while also reducing your maintenance needs. These covers are typically made of vinyl or other durable materials and can last for several years with proper care.
One advantage of using a solid pool cover is that it completely blocks out sunlight, preventing algae growth and reducing the need for harsh chemicals to maintain clear water. Solid covers also reduce water evaporation, which can save you money on water and utility bills over time.
Mesh Pool Covers
Mesh pool covers are another popular choice for above ground pools with decks. These covers are made of porous material that allows rain and snow to pass through while blocking debris and dirt from getting into the pool.
One benefit of using a mesh pool cover is that they are typically lighter and easier to handle than solid covers. They also require less maintenance, as they don’t need to be pumped off like solid covers do. However, they do allow some sunlight to pass through, which can contribute to algae growth if not properly treated.
Solar Pool Covers
Solar pool covers are a great option if you want to extend your swimming season and reduce your energy costs. These covers are made of thick, UV-resistant material that traps the sun’s rays to heat the pool water naturally.
Using a solar pool cover can help reduce water evaporation, which can save you money on water bills. They also help keep debris and dirt out of the pool, reducing the need for maintenance and cleaning. However, solar pool covers can be more expensive than other types of covers, and they require more maintenance to keep them in good condition.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Pool Cover for Your Above Ground Pool with a Deck
Choosing the right pool cover for your above ground pool with a deck can be a daunting task, with various options to consider. To ensure you make the right decision, it’s important to take note of the following factors:
Size and Dimensions
One of the most critical factors to consider is the size of your pool and deck. Ensure that you measure your pool’s dimensions accurately to avoid purchasing a cover that is too small or too big. You should also take note of any other accessories or features that may impact the cover’s size, such as ladders, steps, and railings.
Another essential factor is durability. You want a pool cover that will last for several seasons and withstand harsh outdoor conditions. Opt for covers made with high-quality materials that are resistant to tears, punctures, and harsh weather elements. Covers with reinforced edges and double-stitched seams provide added durability and longevity.
Ease of Installation
Installing a pool cover can be a daunting task, especially for first-time buyers. Choose a cover that is easy to install and comes with clear installation instructions. Covers with an easy-to-use attachment system, such as clips or ropes, make installation hassle-free.
Additionally, consider the maintenance requirements of the cover and choose a cover that is easy to maintain and clean. Covers that are resistant to mold, mildew, and UV rays will require less maintenance. Removing debris and cleaning the cover regularly will also extend its lifespan.
Add-ons and Accessories
Lastly, consider any add-ons or accessories that may enhance the functionality of your cover. Pool cover pumps can help remove excess water, while cover reels make it easier to remove and store the cover. Winterizing kits can provide additional protection during colder months.
Top Pool Covers for Above Ground Pools with Decks
Investing in a reliable pool cover is essential for any above ground pool with a deck. Here are some of the best pool covers available in the market:
|Solid||Provides maximum protection against debris and sunlight, while reducing water evaporation. Strong and durable material ensures longevity.|
|Mesh||Allows rainwater and snow to seep through, while keeping out leaves and other debris. Durable and lightweight material ensures easy installation and removal.|
|Solar||Provides an eco-friendly way to heat the pool water, while also reducing evaporation. Durable and tear-resistant material ensures year-round protection.|
|Automatic||Provides ultimate convenience with motorized controls for opening and closing the cover. Durable and reliable material ensures long-term use.|
|Safety||Designed to provide optimal safety for families with children and pets. Durable and sturdy material ensures maximum protection against accidental falls into the pool.|
No matter which type of cover you choose, make sure it is specifically designed for above ground pools with decks to ensure proper fit and coverage.
Installing and Maintaining a Pool Cover for Your Above Ground Pool with a Deck
Installing and maintaining a pool cover for your above ground pool with a deck is crucial in ensuring that your pool and deck are protected from debris, harsh weather conditions, and other potential hazards. Follow these steps to ensure proper installation and maintenance of your pool cover:
1. Clean and dry your pool and deck before installing the cover. This will help ensure that no debris or moisture gets trapped between the cover and the pool.
2. Lay the cover over the pool, ensuring that it is centered and evenly spread out.
3. Secure the cover in place using the appropriate fastening method. For example, some covers come with anchor points that have to be screwed into the deck, while others use heavy-duty straps and clips to keep the cover in place.
4. Make sure that the cover is taut and does not sag in any areas. This will help prevent rainwater and debris from accumulating on top of the cover.
1. Remove any debris from the cover regularly. For example, use a leaf blower or a soft bristle brush to remove leaves, twigs, and other debris.
2. Use a cover pump to remove any excess water that accumulates on top of the cover. This will help prevent the cover from sagging or becoming weighed down by the water.
3. Clean the cover periodically using a mild detergent and a soft bristle brush. Do not use harsh chemicals or abrasive tools, as these can damage the cover.
4. Store the cover properly during the off-season. For example, roll it up carefully and store it in a dry, cool place. Avoid folding the cover, as this can cause creases and damage the material.
Additional Accessories for Pool Covers with Decks
Investing in additional accessories for your pool cover can enhance its functionality and convenience. Below are some of the most popular accessories for pool covers with decks:
|Cover Pumps||These pumps are designed to remove excess water from the pool cover, preventing it from sagging or stretching. Cover pumps come with automatic shut-off features, ensuring that they do not run dry and burn out.|
|Cover Reels||These are designed to make it easier to remove and store pool covers. Cover reels come in manual and motorized models and are available in different sizes to fit different pools. They typically have wheels for ease of movement and can be conveniently stored when not in use.|
|Winterizing Kits||These kits contain all the necessary accessories for winterizing your pool and cover. They include cover clips, air pillows, and winterizing chemicals, among other items. Winterizing kits help to protect your pool from damage during the winter months, ensuring its longevity.|
When choosing accessories for your pool cover, ensure that they are compatible with your pool type and cover size.
Pool Cover Safety Tips for Above Ground Pools with Decks
When using a pool cover for an above ground pool with a deck, safety should be a top priority. Here are some important safety tips to keep in mind:
- Ensure proper installation: Make sure the pool cover is installed correctly and securely fastened to prevent it from shifting or slipping. A loose cover can be a safety hazard and may not effectively protect the pool.
- Avoid walking or playing on the cover: While some pool covers may support a small amount of weight, it is not advisable to walk or play on them. Doing so can damage the cover and potentially lead to accidents.
- Supervise children and pets: Keep a watchful eye on children and pets around the pool cover, and never leave them unsupervised. Children may be tempted to play on the cover, and pets may accidentally get trapped underneath.
- Store the cover properly: When not in use, store the pool cover in a safe place away from children and pets. Make sure it is dry and folded neatly to prevent damage or wear and tear.
- Communicate safety protocols: Educate your family members and guests about pool cover safety protocols, and make sure they understand the importance of following them. Encourage them to respect the pool cover and use it only for its intended purpose.
Remember, a pool cover is a safety feature that can help prevent accidents and protect your pool and deck. By following these safety tips, you can ensure that you and your loved ones enjoy your pool safely and responsibly.
Benefits of Investing in a Reliable Pool Cover for Your Above Ground Pool with a Deck
Investing in a reliable pool cover for your above ground pool with a deck offers numerous benefits. Let’s take a closer look at some of the advantages:
- Reduced maintenance costs: A pool cover helps to keep debris out of your pool, reducing the need for cleaning and maintenance. This can save you both time and money in the long run.
- Less water evaporation: A pool cover can significantly reduce water evaporation, which not only saves you money on water bills, but also helps to conserve water.
- Extended pool lifespan: By keeping debris out of your pool, a pool cover can help to extend the lifespan of your pool, reducing the need for costly repairs or replacements.
- Enhanced safety: A pool cover can provide added safety for families with children or pets, helping to prevent accidental falls into the pool.
- Improved energy efficiency: A solar pool cover can help to heat your pool naturally, reducing the need for energy-consuming heating systems.
Overall, investing in a high-quality pool cover can offer significant benefits for pool owners, from reducing maintenance costs to enhancing safety and energy efficiency.
How to Choose the Right Size of Pool Cover for Your Above Ground Pool with a Deck
Choosing the right size of pool cover for an above ground pool with a deck is crucial to ensuring proper fit and functionality. Here are some steps to follow when measuring your pool and deck:
- Take accurate measurements: Use a measuring tape to determine the pool’s length, width, and depth. Measure the deck’s surface area, including any protruding corners or features like steps or handrails.
- Account for any additional features: If the pool has a raised deck, consider adding extra length and width to the cover to accommodate the height difference. Also, factor in any additional accessories such as a slide or diving board that may require a larger size cover.
- Choose the appropriate cover shape: Depending on the shape of your pool, you may need a round, rectangular or oval-shaped cover. Ensure the shape you choose is compatible with your pool size and deck configuration.
- Consider a custom-made cover: If your above ground pool has a unique or irregular shape, consider ordering a custom-made cover. This will ensure a perfect fit and maximum protection.
Remember to double-check all your measurements before purchasing a pool cover as an ill-fitted cover may reduce the cover’s lifespan and effectiveness.
Section 11: Frequently Asked Questions about Pool Covers for Above Ground Pools with Decks
Here are some common questions that people ask about pool covers for above ground pools with decks:
Q: How long do pool covers last?
A: The lifespan of a pool cover depends on several factors, including the type and quality of the cover, frequency of use, and exposure to environmental factors such as sun and weather. In general, a well-maintained pool cover can last anywhere from 5 to 15 years.
Q: Do pool covers come with a warranty?
A: Yes, most pool cover manufacturers offer a warranty on their products. The length of the warranty and what it covers may vary depending on the brand and model of the pool cover. It is important to read the warranty details carefully before making a purchase.
Q: Are there pool covers available for irregularly shaped pools with decks?
A: Yes, there are pool covers available that can be custom-made to fit irregularly shaped above ground pools with decks. It is important to provide accurate measurements and specifications to ensure a proper fit.
Q: Can pool covers be used with inflatable pools or soft-sided pools?
A: Depending on the type of cover, some pool covers may be compatible with inflatable or soft-sided above ground pools. However, it is important to check the manufacturer’s specifications and compatibility before making a purchase.
Q: Can pool covers be used during winter months?
A: Yes, some pool covers are specifically designed for winter use and provide extended protection for the pool and deck during colder months. These covers may require additional accessories or installation steps to ensure proper winterization.
Q: Can pool covers be used as a safety feature?
A: Yes, pool covers can provide an added layer of safety for above ground pools with decks. However, it is important to ensure that the cover is properly installed and secured to prevent accidents or drowning hazards.